Skip to main content

Spooky Canadians

 Another oldie from www.sexyloops.com



After a blackout on the train caused an unwelcome surprise break from everything, I'm starting to get back to some kind of normalcy. I even went out fishing on Monday night, which annoyed/worried my wife but made me feel better about a lot of things.

It's peak time for big seabass and Chuck came down from Tochigi to try and get into his first bass. I got him set up with the ubiquitous rubber candy and we e started of at an inshore point and I got into a fish pretty quickly off of a dock light. I hooked and dropped another better fish immediately after while Chuck was getting eats but couldn't help but trout set on them. A couple of moves later and he got into the swing of things, spookily catching a blackfin seabass or Hirasuzuki for his first ever seabass. In my years of living in Japan I've only ever caught 2 of them. Later we went looking for bigger fish, and although we saw a spin fisherman in another boat catching an absolute tank of a fish we didn't turn anything up. Capt. Masuda radioed accross and it seems they were using big surface plugs and I suspect out flies were probably too quiet to stand out from the masses of bait that was around. We spent the last hour mooching around some anchored ships and turned up several more fish including a few nice fish over 60cm. This season is turning up a good average size for me, but so far nothing huge has turned up. There will be a couple more trips before they disappear to spawn though, so there's time for a Specimen or 2.



I'll be tying a couple of bigger/noiser surface flies and maybe something with a blade on the back to grab the attention a bit more. I'm really enjoying this new aspect of the seabass fishing, it's a pity that this big fly approach seems to switch off after the new year, but I'm wondering if there aren't a few spots where it would still be vaible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Partridge & Yellow

  The light partridge and yellow really is a deadly North country spider. Despite its simplicity, this fly is a great taker of both trout and grayling and frankly, the partridge and yellow should be in every river angler's box. To support the channel and be eligible for giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: Kamasan B170 size 14 Thread: Yellow silk (waxed) Hackle: Grey speckled partridge

Castin 100 feet with Paul Arden

  Paul and Nick are back, this time discussing the elements that make up casting 100 feet plus. It’s starting to get exciting…

Killer bug

  Frank Sawyer's Killer bug is as effective now as ever, it's a quick, durable tie that works year round for trout and grayling in all kinds of waters from chalkstreams to peaty freestones. To support my channel and enter the giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: B170/B175 or similar size 12-16 Thread: Dark reddish copper wire Body: Chadwick's 477 sub- any brownish, pinky grey yarn