Skip to main content

Okinawan Adventures

 Another old one from Sexy Loops.  This one was written on 3rd of August 2019

Last week in Okinawa was a much needed break from the hectic life of Tokyo. I left on the 6 am flight on Monday, got a ferry to the island I like, had checked in to the guesthouse and made the 30 meter  walk to the flats by noon.  Wonderful stuff.  It was my fifth trip to this island and as it's all DIY fishing I've been slowly building up a picture of where fishes best when.  Pretty handy for my fishing mates as they didn't have to prospect so much.



For me this island is primarily about the triggerfish, they are prolific with multiple shots available every day.  There are loads of picassos if that's your thing but there are unbelievable numbers of titan triggers and the odd pinktail. Of course trevally are always fun to catch and there are plenty of yellowspot, bluefin and brassies to cast to along with plenty of snapper, emperor and the odd tuskfish. GTs do show up from time to time (usually when you're carrying the #10 with a crab tied on) and are generally BIG, I wouldn't say they are there in the numbers that would make it psychologically viable to make them the main target on this island a.  

Over the week conditions were stable, scorching and not too windy with decent visibility most days. Luckily we missed the typhoon that struck 2 days before I got there.  Hiromiki arrived 1 day early, eager to get started on his first saltwater trip.  He managed to hook a trevally before we arrived but suffered, as many trout anglers do when they first hit the salt, a broken tippet and a bit of a shock at the power of a decent saltwater fish.   Unfortunately, Miki had tied boxes of flies in preparation but hadn't practised casting very much and struggled to get shots of quickly enough  for the cruising bluefin and yellow spot trevallies that were showing up frequently. I wonder what percentage of people making the switch this happens to, I bet it's high.  It was a week of tough lessons for Miki really, from casting to footwear issues to bad hook choices-cheap hooks won't do it for triggers. Fortunately he caught enough snapper and emperor to keep him interested and did catch a nice brassy trevally around 70cm on his last day, he's hooked and will be much better prepared for his next trip.


I had a very enjoyable week, with lots of yellowspots seemingly eager to eat my crabs and clousers. While there weren't any really big fish, it's still a lot of fun to make those quick presentations and get the eat, even from 6lb fish. It's the shot and eat that I really enjoy most, and I definitely benefitted from having learned Paul's snakehead shot.I caught several trevally that appeared from the glare or became visible after passing cloud that I wouldn't have had time to catch if a false cast was involved. It's a great cast to have if you do any kind of shot fishing.  As the week went on I was seeing loads of triggers, especially as I got more keyed in on what the look like subsurface. The shallow tailers were incredibly spooky and I think all but one spooked as the fly landed, even on "good" soft landing shots. I had the most eats from cruising fish that could be lead a fair distance, or those fish that were tailing in water deep enough that they were fully submerged.  The deep tailers seemed particularly aggressive, often eating the crab before it reached the bottom. Sadly, the features that make the trigger population so high, also make it very difficult to land them and should the eat be successfully converted to a hooked fish the chances of being cut off on the reef or the fish finding a hole to hide in are very high, even with a 20lb tippet.  I had eats from probably 20 titans, hooked up with about 9, but landed none on this trip- I was in danger of runnning out of velcro crabs and only one made it home. I love triggerfish but I hate them too. The silver lining is that I had no crushed hooks, so have found the hook for these fiends, the Gamakatsu SL11-3. It's the one. On the last day, with a good tide and having seen some GTs the 2 days before, I decided to have the #12 in my hand for most of the day I only had a half shot at a nice fish that was swimming the wrong way but still enjoyed the day.


All in all it was a very enjoyable much needed trip, plenty of exciting and challenging fishing with good friends, good food and relaxed Okinawan hospitality. While Okinawa probably isn't on many people's radar as a fly fishing destination. It's not easy and there's only one guide as far as I know but  there are lots of opportunities for the DIY angler looking for something a bit different and is well worth considering.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing the love

Last Monday I took my buddy Hideto from  the Tokyo flyfishing blog   out to show him the ropes. He'd been carping before but like most he'd struggled and never really got in to it.  Eventually I convinced him that carp were worth chasing and he asked to come along. I took him to a small river near my apartment, it doesn't have many big fish but it has a lot of fish so I was confident he'd get a fish or two.  After a quick coffee and explanation about the river, flies and presentation we headed up to the water. It took Hide a little while to get to grips with the presentation and reading the fish, although identifying takers is going to take more than one session to pin down. Any way we eventually got him a small fish about 20 inches or so after which his confidence started to grow along side a healthy respect for the carp as a fly fishing target. As the day wore on he picked up a few fish finishing with 5 or 6 nice little commons.  I didn't fish that hard as I

Damsel Booby

  This is a fantastic booby that will catch you fish year round. I find these larger boobies work best on the point or fished singly and really lend themselves to slightly faster retrieves that get the tail moving. For some reason I have found this particular pattern less effective when tied smaller in a competition size format. To support the channel, join the monthly tying classes and enter the giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and sign up or contribute through https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers . Materials list Hook: Kamasan B175 size 8 Thread: Olive Uni 8/0 Tail: Medium olive marabou Body: Olive chenille Rib: Med silver holographic Hackle: Grey partridge dyed yellow Eyes: 6mm yellow foam cylinder Book of the month 6 is available here https://amzn.to/3jwznCE Amazon.com https://amzn.to/3DuHvM1 Amazon UK

Partridge & Yellow

  The light partridge and yellow really is a deadly North country spider. Despite its simplicity, this fly is a great taker of both trout and grayling and frankly, the partridge and yellow should be in every river angler's box. To support the channel and be eligible for giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: Kamasan B170 size 14 Thread: Yellow silk (waxed) Hackle: Grey speckled partridge