Skip to main content

Bucktail Experiment

 

Another old one from Sexyloops (Feb 2020)



Some of you might remember that I decided to limit myself to fishing only traditional bucktail streamers for smallmouth bass last season. Well that season is definitely over and I'm getting ready for the 2020 smallmouth fishing to kick off soon, without the limitations of last year. 

It should be obvious that this wasn't about finding out if the old streamers still work. Of course they do! Although I hear myself and others say it often enough that I have to wonder who we're trying to convince. I actually caught more smallmouth bass last season than I ever have, probably because I spent more time on them than I ever have before rather than some X factor inherent in the  bucktails. 

Looking back at my notes, I do think that the experiment cost me some fish. The practical size limitation of the flies was the most common issue, it's just not feasible to tie a silver outcast 20cm long for bass that are keyed in on large ayu. Even with long enough hair, they'll foul half the time at least.  Sometimes the bass would eat a smaller fly while chasing larger bait, but they would often move towards the fly before rejecting it - it could have been retrieve cadence, speed or some other factor, but my feeling is that it was size. As the season progressed I also noticed that profile seemed to become more important too, fish feeding on Japanese chubs and crucians became far less willing to eat a fly that was the right colour but wrong shape. Probably because of fishing pressure and the Japanese bass angler's obsession with finesse fishing to deal with pressured fish (another reason I like big flies). 

The other way, the experiment cost fish was hooking. I was pretty much expecting this to be the case but wasn't sure at what size fly it would become an issue - it seems to be about 7cm . I've noted 7 separate occasions where I watched fish hit the head of the fly and not get hooked. It probably happened more than I saw too. Anything under this size then the long shank required to prevent fouling seems not to adversely impact hookups. I'm looking forward to getting back to my BTDs with the hook in the front end.

Weight is also a bit of a problem, split shot is something of a work around, but I'm not keen on it, nor do I necessarily always want to fish a tip to get down as a floater with a straight leader and compact, tungsten rich fly is often a better option.

Much of this was fairly predictable, but it was good fun to play around with the flies and confirm my suspicions. This season's box is going to look very different but there will still be an assortment of little bucktails in there as I think, with the modification of dropping the wing around the body, they're probably the best small bait imitations for running water. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing the love

Last Monday I took my buddy Hideto from  the Tokyo flyfishing blog   out to show him the ropes. He'd been carping before but like most he'd struggled and never really got in to it.  Eventually I convinced him that carp were worth chasing and he asked to come along. I took him to a small river near my apartment, it doesn't have many big fish but it has a lot of fish so I was confident he'd get a fish or two.  After a quick coffee and explanation about the river, flies and presentation we headed up to the water. It took Hide a little while to get to grips with the presentation and reading the fish, although identifying takers is going to take more than one session to pin down. Any way we eventually got him a small fish about 20 inches or so after which his confidence started to grow along side a healthy respect for the carp as a fly fishing target. As the day wore on he picked up a few fish finishing with 5 or 6 nice little commons.  I didn't fish that hard as I

Damsel Booby

  This is a fantastic booby that will catch you fish year round. I find these larger boobies work best on the point or fished singly and really lend themselves to slightly faster retrieves that get the tail moving. For some reason I have found this particular pattern less effective when tied smaller in a competition size format. To support the channel, join the monthly tying classes and enter the giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and sign up or contribute through https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers . Materials list Hook: Kamasan B175 size 8 Thread: Olive Uni 8/0 Tail: Medium olive marabou Body: Olive chenille Rib: Med silver holographic Hackle: Grey partridge dyed yellow Eyes: 6mm yellow foam cylinder Book of the month 6 is available here https://amzn.to/3jwznCE Amazon.com https://amzn.to/3DuHvM1 Amazon UK

Partridge & Yellow

  The light partridge and yellow really is a deadly North country spider. Despite its simplicity, this fly is a great taker of both trout and grayling and frankly, the partridge and yellow should be in every river angler's box. To support the channel and be eligible for giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: Kamasan B170 size 14 Thread: Yellow silk (waxed) Hackle: Grey speckled partridge