Skip to main content

One Fly To Rule Them All

Another old one I wrote for www.sexyloops.com

The weather is cooling off a bit and I'm turning my eye on the seabass again.  They're around most of the year but fishing is better in the cooler months and inshore areas around Tokyo in summer aren't that pleasant with the humidity anyway.



I went out a couple of weeks ago with Hawaiian Dave for the first trip of the autumn, just before the last typhoon passed by. It was a bit blowy and Dave was struggling a bit with his casting - not enough practice! But despite this the wind and the pre-frontal conditions had the bass heavily on the feed, and the thumb rash was right up onto the palm of my hand. Numbers and big ones. Which was nice. 

As usual, I stuck on the intermediate and a 7cm rubber candy. It worked incredibly well, as it always does. I'm not sure when I last fished another fly for seabass. There are plenty of other flies that I know work plenty well enough, but it's just so relentlessly consistent that I can't seem to pick anything else out of the box. I'm pretty sure it's the combination of neutral buoyancy and mouth feel of the silicon body that is so irresistible to the seabass. 

Now some people might be delighted by this kind of thing, but not me. I like the moments spent mooching in a fly box weighing things up before making a selection. It's part of it for me. The other thing is confidence; the day the rubber candy lets me down, I wonder how confident I will manage to be in whatever I tie on in its place. 

I'm heading out with Dave again on Monday. We're trying to pack the trips in before he leaves Japan for good,  so maybe I'll try to wean myself off of the candy...maybe.

Here's a how-to video if you're interested in tying your own.


Comments

  1. Is it good seabass fly in Tokyo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am using best bass frog lure for catching bass. Do you think this fly can be effective for bass fishing as well?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Partridge & Yellow

  The light partridge and yellow really is a deadly North country spider. Despite its simplicity, this fly is a great taker of both trout and grayling and frankly, the partridge and yellow should be in every river angler's box. To support the channel and be eligible for giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: Kamasan B170 size 14 Thread: Yellow silk (waxed) Hackle: Grey speckled partridge

Castin 100 feet with Paul Arden

  Paul and Nick are back, this time discussing the elements that make up casting 100 feet plus. It’s starting to get exciting…

Killer bug

  Frank Sawyer's Killer bug is as effective now as ever, it's a quick, durable tie that works year round for trout and grayling in all kinds of waters from chalkstreams to peaty freestones. To support my channel and enter the giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: B170/B175 or similar size 12-16 Thread: Dark reddish copper wire Body: Chadwick's 477 sub- any brownish, pinky grey yarn