Skip to main content

Beware the Confuser

Another of my early pages for sexyloops.com



Recently I've been thinking a lot about how I explain things on video or while teaching. This naturally got me thinking about how fly fishing media explains stuff, and the more I read, watch or listen to the more I'm convinced that not all of it is really designed to help. 

For example, I recently watched a video about streamer heads- something that is actually quite simple to understand and describe. However, the explanation given was convuluted and full of what seemed like deliberate use of technical sounding (but inaccurate) jargon. This really turned me off, and I made me think that either the "teacher" didn't really understand what he was teaching or was trying to prevent actual learning, small wonder that beginners are often intimidated when confronted with this style of instruction. Compare this to excellent streamer videos from people like Kelly Galloup or Nicklaus Bauer that are simple, matter of fact and easy to follow and you'll see a clear difference. 

There's nothing in flytying that can't be explained simply, clearly and accessibly. So I'd encourage you to steer clear of anything that isn't. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triangle Bug

The triangle bug is a great little topwater pattern for bass and panfish. it can be fished singly or to suspend a subsurface dropper pattern. head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers or https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/flickingfeathers to support the channel and get access to members only content. Materials used Hook: Triangle bug hooks or your preferred 2-3x long ring eye hook. https://www.panfishonthefly.com/hooks/triangle-bug-hooks Thread: 6/0 or 140 denier Tail: marabou or hair like calf tail or squirrel tail + flash Legs: round rubber or silli legs Body: 2mm foam cut to shape  

Partridge & Yellow

  The light partridge and yellow really is a deadly North country spider. Despite its simplicity, this fly is a great taker of both trout and grayling and frankly, the partridge and yellow should be in every river angler's box. To support the channel and be eligible for giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: Kamasan B170 size 14 Thread: Yellow silk (waxed) Hackle: Grey speckled partridge

Castin 100 feet with Paul Arden

  Paul and Nick are back, this time discussing the elements that make up casting 100 feet plus. It’s starting to get exciting…