Skip to main content

Exploratory Missions

An old post I wrote for www.sexloops.com


 


I've been checking a few new-to-me shore locations around Tokyo bay over the last few weeks. Some of them are right in the city, like down by the Olympic village. Others are thankfully a bit out of the way. It's been fun, even if it has meant fewer fish than I might usually expect. This is the kind of situation where I don't mind blanking though. Each visit to a mark helps to build a picture of the area and what it's like at different tides. Of course fish are welcome, but I'm OK with some slow sessions if it means I can manage some more consistent success in future.

This week I've been to a promising place, a nice esturine area with a couple of islands, some nice channels and other manmade structure. The first visit I went down during the day without the rod and just had a walk around, at low tide to see what was what. I like to do this where possible as I'll often be fishing at night and it's a good idea to have some kind of picture of what is in front of you. It also helps make estimates about where to start and which points are likely to be good. The next time I arrived about an hour before sunset which let me catch the last 2 hours of the rising tide and the first couple of the fall. I had a mooch around and started at one of the river mouths. There was nothing fancy about my approach; an intermediate and a 7" blurple Tabory's snake on a 6ft leader. As I more or less expected I didn't catch although I did get a couple of bumps, probably small fish judging from the erratic shakey feel. Could I have caught those fish with a smaller fly? Probably, but that wasn't really the point. It's still nice to get that little bit of action just to keep the confidence up. I'm heading back down on afternoon to fish the falling tide into dark, I'm still going to be treating it as an image building exercise, but as the season is progressing and the larger fish will mostly be moving out into the bay by now, I'll probably fish something a bit smaller. John is coming with his spinning rod-which I hope he's more proficient with now- and he'll be able to help cover water to some degree.

The boat trips are always more productive and I reckon I'll squeeze in one more before the spawn kicks off, but I do enjoy getting out and cracking some of the more challenging stuff on my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Partridge & Yellow

  The light partridge and yellow really is a deadly North country spider. Despite its simplicity, this fly is a great taker of both trout and grayling and frankly, the partridge and yellow should be in every river angler's box. To support the channel and be eligible for giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: Kamasan B170 size 14 Thread: Yellow silk (waxed) Hackle: Grey speckled partridge

Castin 100 feet with Paul Arden

  Paul and Nick are back, this time discussing the elements that make up casting 100 feet plus. It’s starting to get exciting…

Killer bug

  Frank Sawyer's Killer bug is as effective now as ever, it's a quick, durable tie that works year round for trout and grayling in all kinds of waters from chalkstreams to peaty freestones. To support my channel and enter the giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: B170/B175 or similar size 12-16 Thread: Dark reddish copper wire Body: Chadwick's 477 sub- any brownish, pinky grey yarn