Skip to main content

Misanthropy

 Another old one from www.sexyloops.com



On Monday, I went to a river I'd never been to before. A steep, fast little mountain river, full of pocket water and small plunge pools a population of sea run and resident yamame and a population of rainbows that's a mix between stocked and wild fish.

I'm not the greatest at fishing this kind of river, as I tend to spend more time on rivers with gentler gradients, riffles and bigger pools. But I do enjoy it a lot. Tricky wading, sneaking behind rocks and dropping bushy dries or heavy nymphs into the soft spots. The fish might not be that big, but it can be magic. There wasn't much in the way of hatching insects but there were a few stonefly nymph shucks on the rocks and plenty of ants all around the place. Promising! Even though it was running a little high and fast I was quite pleased when I got there and saw that the river seemed to be empty of other anglers.

Unfortunately despite about a hundred mile journey, it wasn't long before I encountered some people fishing, mostly they were fishing for ayu. You can easily tell an ayu fisherman by the 30ft rod they wave around, it's a strange way of fishing where they essentially rig one ayu as a livebait and dangle it in likely looking spots around the river to catch another one. Basically these guys are buying live fish to go to the river and try to catch the same kind of fish that is probably a stockie from the same hatchery that supplies their bait. It baffles me really.

The real problem is that the trout don't care if an angler is fishing for another species, they still get spooked by their presence. It's especially troublesome as the ayu people don't seem to worried about being unobtrusive. So rather than picking my way upstream I ended up getting out of the river and trekking upstream a few miles to see what I could find. Eventually I got clear of other rods, as far as I could tell at least, and started fishing again. I found some likely looking spots but only managed to catch a few chub type things. Better than nothing I suppose, but not what I was after. I'm always amazed at how tolerant of other rods Japanese anglers seem to be, I just can't get used to it.  But more than finding other people fishing I hate how hard it is to avoid around here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing the love

Last Monday I took my buddy Hideto from  the Tokyo flyfishing blog   out to show him the ropes. He'd been carping before but like most he'd struggled and never really got in to it.  Eventually I convinced him that carp were worth chasing and he asked to come along. I took him to a small river near my apartment, it doesn't have many big fish but it has a lot of fish so I was confident he'd get a fish or two.  After a quick coffee and explanation about the river, flies and presentation we headed up to the water. It took Hide a little while to get to grips with the presentation and reading the fish, although identifying takers is going to take more than one session to pin down. Any way we eventually got him a small fish about 20 inches or so after which his confidence started to grow along side a healthy respect for the carp as a fly fishing target. As the day wore on he picked up a few fish finishing with 5 or 6 nice little commons.  I didn't fish that hard as I

Damsel Booby

  This is a fantastic booby that will catch you fish year round. I find these larger boobies work best on the point or fished singly and really lend themselves to slightly faster retrieves that get the tail moving. For some reason I have found this particular pattern less effective when tied smaller in a competition size format. To support the channel, join the monthly tying classes and enter the giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and sign up or contribute through https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers . Materials list Hook: Kamasan B175 size 8 Thread: Olive Uni 8/0 Tail: Medium olive marabou Body: Olive chenille Rib: Med silver holographic Hackle: Grey partridge dyed yellow Eyes: 6mm yellow foam cylinder Book of the month 6 is available here https://amzn.to/3jwznCE Amazon.com https://amzn.to/3DuHvM1 Amazon UK

Partridge & Yellow

  The light partridge and yellow really is a deadly North country spider. Despite its simplicity, this fly is a great taker of both trout and grayling and frankly, the partridge and yellow should be in every river angler's box. To support the channel and be eligible for giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: Kamasan B170 size 14 Thread: Yellow silk (waxed) Hackle: Grey speckled partridge