Skip to main content

Catchy Titles

 An old one I wrote for www.sexyloops.com



I'm terrible at naming flies. Or at least, terrible at it most of the time, when I actually come up with a fly that's reasonably original I can come up with something. It's probably because, I don't really think most patterns warrant a new name.

We're probably stuck with the old style naming where there essentially only a few different flies, but loads of names for what are essentially just colour different colour combinations. I mean, look at the Kate Mclaren for example, is it really anything other than a black & brown bumble? No it isn't. And that's by no means unusual. Almost everyone calls hedgehogs sedgehogs now,  because Stan Headley renamed it after putting a hackle on it.  I think the hackled version didn't need a new name, even if sedgehog is probably better branding. 


The thing about names though, they have some kind of power. I've noticed this several times recently. Folk raving about the black mamba, and some guy going on about how he "developed" it. Which amused me as its  almost exactly identical to a fly I tied circa 1995- I used a litebrite body whereas the black mamba uses glister - and I didn't invent it either. That's fine,it's just a bit of self promotion and no one's getting hurt. But I doubt it'd be so popular if it was just called a black & green zonker.


This week I made a tutorial for a leggy golden olive bumble(POD) . It's a lovely palmer with a golden pheasant breast feather at the shoulder, giving it that straggly look that's so characteristic of Hebridean top droppers. It didn't take long before some expert told me it was a crippler, again a better name than leggy golden olive bumble. But as far as I can tell, cripplers are just octopuses (octopi?). Not that it mattered as the leggy bumbles have been around longer than I have, certainly a good decade or two longer than cripplers and offer quite a different profile to a crippler. Which anyone with half a clue would realise. They also need to be tied differently to keep things propotional.  The descriptive name just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.


Then I saw a young kid being eviscerated online after he posted a picture of a gurgler mouse, because he didn't call it a master splinter. No one stopped to consider the negative impact they were having on a 14 year old getting into the sport, or that the guy from, Field & Stream just put a name on an existing pattern.Which is exactly what he did, hundreds of people invented the gurgler mouse before him, just no one bothered naming it. I have seen people claim it's a different or special pattern and that there's more going on in that fly, including some who should know better, but it's not. It's a gurgler mouse; a pattern that's probably as old as the guy who renamed it.

It's just a reality of fly fishing I suppose, and it is mostly harmless with just a few folk being taken for mugs in order to sell a few flies that will catch fish. There is some ugliness there though and that is unfortunate. I hope that young guy keeps fishing, keeps tying gurgler mice and keeps catching fish on them.


Leggy Golden Olive Bumble

Hook: B175 or equivalent wetfly hook size 8-12

Thread: Brown 8/0

Tag: gold tinsel 

Tail: GP crest 

Body:Golden olive seal fur or sub

Rib: oval gold

Body hackles: Chinese cock golden olive & dark ginger 

Shoulder hackle: GP red breast feather 

Head hackle: Blue jay

 
Gurgler mouse 

Hook: B10S or similar 

Thread: anything stout and in the right colour 

Tail: rabbit or squirrel strip with the fur trimmed 

Body: rabbit or squirrel strip -crosscut if you like 

Back/lip: Foam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing the love

Last Monday I took my buddy Hideto from  the Tokyo flyfishing blog   out to show him the ropes. He'd been carping before but like most he'd struggled and never really got in to it.  Eventually I convinced him that carp were worth chasing and he asked to come along. I took him to a small river near my apartment, it doesn't have many big fish but it has a lot of fish so I was confident he'd get a fish or two.  After a quick coffee and explanation about the river, flies and presentation we headed up to the water. It took Hide a little while to get to grips with the presentation and reading the fish, although identifying takers is going to take more than one session to pin down. Any way we eventually got him a small fish about 20 inches or so after which his confidence started to grow along side a healthy respect for the carp as a fly fishing target. As the day wore on he picked up a few fish finishing with 5 or 6 nice little commons.  I didn't fish that hard as I

Damsel Booby

  This is a fantastic booby that will catch you fish year round. I find these larger boobies work best on the point or fished singly and really lend themselves to slightly faster retrieves that get the tail moving. For some reason I have found this particular pattern less effective when tied smaller in a competition size format. To support the channel, join the monthly tying classes and enter the giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and sign up or contribute through https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers . Materials list Hook: Kamasan B175 size 8 Thread: Olive Uni 8/0 Tail: Medium olive marabou Body: Olive chenille Rib: Med silver holographic Hackle: Grey partridge dyed yellow Eyes: 6mm yellow foam cylinder Book of the month 6 is available here https://amzn.to/3jwznCE Amazon.com https://amzn.to/3DuHvM1 Amazon UK

Partridge & Yellow

  The light partridge and yellow really is a deadly North country spider. Despite its simplicity, this fly is a great taker of both trout and grayling and frankly, the partridge and yellow should be in every river angler's box. To support the channel and be eligible for giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: Kamasan B170 size 14 Thread: Yellow silk (waxed) Hackle: Grey speckled partridge