Skip to main content

Managing Expectations

Another oldie from Sexy Loops  (10th Aug 2019)



In my last FP (the Okinawa trip report)  I only mentioned two of the three anglers. This was because the third rod made me think a lot about what people expect and the impact it can have on a trip. He spent a lot of the time complaining about how the island wasn't very fishy or how the flat was empty, which was in complete opposition to my experience of the fishing.  I found it a bit perplexing and a little annoying.  As the week went on I was running it over in my mind, but it wasn't until a conversation later in the week that everything really clicked.


The guy regularly fishes a sandbar on a closed resort island in the Maldives that might see 10 rods a year and another Okinawan island for sea bream, catching numerous fish each day- some of them almost 12 inches long! With a guide. As soon as I we spoke about that,  a lot of his comments and the way he was fishing made much more sense to me.  He'd become so accustomed to having his guide spot fish that he was walking far too fast and missing most of the fish swimming past him.  This had a compounding effect and he got bored and ended up blind casting a lot, getting tired and fishing less well.  Although he did catch fish most days, they were  pretty much all little snapper and emperor and he didn't have the trip he could have had.


Now, he's not a bad angler and should have caught more and better fish. The problem was mental.  Expecting a DIY trip for trevally and triggerfish to be as easy and have the same numbers as a guided bream trip is unrealistic. But crucially it can lead to bad angling.  I think a few shots and couple of fish, walking unguided is enough to make a very good day's DIY flats fishing. So clearly, I'm much less likely to be disappointed than someone expecting to go out and just have fish climbing up the rod, which means I'm much less likely to let my head go down and stop fishing well.  Attitude is so important makes a big difference to the way we fish, possibly causing unforced mistakes, and problematic practices.


As I touched on earlier probably the biggest problem is walking speed, most people I see walk - in my opinion -  far too quickly while fishing especially if conditioned to it by guides. Guides can generally see fish further away and while walking faster than the once a week or one-week-a-year angler, if you walk the flats at a guide's speed there's a good chance you'll not spot the fish in time to cast, if at all.  It also make you noisier, not ideal when chasing spooky triggers. Walk only as fast as YOU can see, keep the quick pace for when you are moving between spots.  I'm not saying guided fishing is bad, it's very necessary in many situations but it's important to remember you'll have to change things a bit when fishing alone in different conditions.


 To support my channel,get access to the monthly online tying sessions and enter the giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers  and become a patron or support through paypal https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/flickingfeathers 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing the love

Last Monday I took my buddy Hideto from  the Tokyo flyfishing blog   out to show him the ropes. He'd been carping before but like most he'd struggled and never really got in to it.  Eventually I convinced him that carp were worth chasing and he asked to come along. I took him to a small river near my apartment, it doesn't have many big fish but it has a lot of fish so I was confident he'd get a fish or two.  After a quick coffee and explanation about the river, flies and presentation we headed up to the water. It took Hide a little while to get to grips with the presentation and reading the fish, although identifying takers is going to take more than one session to pin down. Any way we eventually got him a small fish about 20 inches or so after which his confidence started to grow along side a healthy respect for the carp as a fly fishing target. As the day wore on he picked up a few fish finishing with 5 or 6 nice little commons.  I didn't fish that hard as I

Damsel Booby

  This is a fantastic booby that will catch you fish year round. I find these larger boobies work best on the point or fished singly and really lend themselves to slightly faster retrieves that get the tail moving. For some reason I have found this particular pattern less effective when tied smaller in a competition size format. To support the channel, join the monthly tying classes and enter the giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and sign up or contribute through https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers . Materials list Hook: Kamasan B175 size 8 Thread: Olive Uni 8/0 Tail: Medium olive marabou Body: Olive chenille Rib: Med silver holographic Hackle: Grey partridge dyed yellow Eyes: 6mm yellow foam cylinder Book of the month 6 is available here https://amzn.to/3jwznCE Amazon.com https://amzn.to/3DuHvM1 Amazon UK

Partridge & Yellow

  The light partridge and yellow really is a deadly North country spider. Despite its simplicity, this fly is a great taker of both trout and grayling and frankly, the partridge and yellow should be in every river angler's box. To support the channel and be eligible for giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: Kamasan B170 size 14 Thread: Yellow silk (waxed) Hackle: Grey speckled partridge