Skip to main content

Keep your tools sharp



Another old article from www.sexyloops.com








 Now that spring is in full swing, the cherry blossoms are opening all over Tokyo and the carp are mostly finished spawning it's time for me to start hitting the rivers in search of mud bones. So yesterday I went to a river near my apartment to see what I could find. 


This place is where I caught my first carp on fly about 10 years ago, starting my obsession with the species and my 60 day a year carp habit that lasted till some time in 2017. Since then I barely fished for carp and I definitely lost my edge. Last year my return to carp was a humbling experience and it felt like 2 or 3 fish days were an  impossible task, let alone the 6-10 I had become accustomed to expect. So the question is why?.... Well I lost my sharpness; being stealthy, getting close, reading fish and hitting eats 
had all - predictably - deteriorated. 

The last few months have been an interesting time as I've been re-honing my skills and questioning things I thought I knew, and probably becoming a better angler in the process.  Yesterday I really felt like things were starting to come together properly. The  creepyuppness is again where it needs to be and I was able to surprise not only a few carp grubbing on my near bank, but also almost gave an old guy a heart attack as I set the hook and
 popped up from behind a bush after a lengthy sneak. The ninja stealth is back! The main lesson for me though is how important it is to maintain the skills, they'll not just stay there and in future I won't be giving the carp such a long reprieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Partridge & Yellow

  The light partridge and yellow really is a deadly North country spider. Despite its simplicity, this fly is a great taker of both trout and grayling and frankly, the partridge and yellow should be in every river angler's box. To support the channel and be eligible for giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: Kamasan B170 size 14 Thread: Yellow silk (waxed) Hackle: Grey speckled partridge

Castin 100 feet with Paul Arden

  Paul and Nick are back, this time discussing the elements that make up casting 100 feet plus. It’s starting to get exciting…

Killer bug

  Frank Sawyer's Killer bug is as effective now as ever, it's a quick, durable tie that works year round for trout and grayling in all kinds of waters from chalkstreams to peaty freestones. To support my channel and enter the giveaways head to https://www.patreon.com/flickingfeathers and become a patron or support through paypal.me/flickingfeathers Materials list Hook: B170/B175 or similar size 12-16 Thread: Dark reddish copper wire Body: Chadwick's 477 sub- any brownish, pinky grey yarn